Home > Beauty > Working In The Beauty Industry

Working In The Beauty Industry

If you’re looking for a career that can provide seemingly endless opportunities, you should consider entering the world of beauty.

A wide and varied sector, offering opportunities to work in several areas, training to be a beauty therapist could open the doors you’ve been looking for.

With The Training Room you could turn a passion for beauty, and making people feel good, into a life-long career.

The Beauty Job Market

Working in an industry such as this one, gives you the opportunity to pick between working for an employer or working for yourself. Both open up a variety of different opportunities. Around 20% of the sector are self-employed, with the remaining 80% being either in full or part-time employment.

Although employment in this sector is increasing, there’s also a number vacancies within the industry, which is said to be due to a 32% skills shortages. This gives you great scope to specialise in a specific area within the beauty sector, such as massage or nails.

In terms of pay, those who are employed will earn different amounts to the self-employed; which depends on how much work you do in a week. Those who are employed can typically earn between £12,000 and £17,000 annually, with salon managers earning over £20,000. The average salary for the sector is £18,591(1).

Woking By Yourself or Someone Else

When you work in an industry such as the world of beauty, you get the option of working in an employed environment, or working for yourself.

They both have their benefits, but it’ll be down to you to decide which one is right for you.

Employed

This can provide a stable 9 – 5 environment, with a guaranteed income, just like any other employed positions. It’s also a good place to start and build a client base, as clients tend to stay loyal in the same way they would with a hairdresser.

Self-Employed

This would provide flexible working days and holidays, but does require extra work to ensure your client base continues to build, which guarantees a steady income. You’d also have to provide your own products and deal with taxes etc. But the freedom allows you to choose how and when you work.

Career Paths To Choose From

There are many paths you can go down in the world of beauty, whether that’s working for yourself or an employer, teaching others about the beauty industry of specialising in a specific areas such as nails or holistic treatments. The possibilities are almost endless.

Depending on whether you’re trained to beginner, intermediate or advanced level, and whether you have other specialist qualifications, there are many areas you can work in; such as:

  • Beauty therapist
  • Massage therapist
  • Nail technician
  • Salon nail technician
  • Make-up artist
  • Lash technician
  • Brow specialist
  • Holistic therapist
  • Spray tan artist
  • Manicurist
  • Pedicurist
  • Business owner
  • Beauty lecturer
  • Brand manager
  • Salon/spa manager
  • Cruise ship therapist
  • Concession counter assistant
  • Make-up artist for film/television/theatre

Train To Be Beauty Therapist With The Training Room

So, if you’re looking at changing or starting a new career, the world of beauty can offer you plenty of opportunities.

Here at The Training Room we offer both part-time weekday and part-time weekend courses for you to take advantage of. With us, you’ll recieve all the help you could need, from beginning to end, and beyond. Head over to our beauty courses page and find out more about what we can offer you.

(1) https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/beautytherapist.aspx

For more information about this course, call 0800 021 6054 or send us your details and we’ll call you back.

Share this post: